Monday 20 October 2014

Day 1: Braces on and teeth pack

Hi guys,

So I got my brace on today. I got them put on just over two hours ago and I can only feel a slight bit of pressure but its not as bad as everyone made it out to be. I haven't had to take any pain killers yet so fingers crossed it doesn't get too bad. I've took some photos of my teeth now and the pack which we bought for my braces.

The first thing that came in my braces pack was disclosing tablets. What disclosing tablets are tablets which you chew and move around your mouth. Then once you've done that, the disclosing tablets stick to the plaque on your teeth and you are left with purple stains on your teeth which show your where you have not been brushing. Then you brush it all off and the idea is that you have done an effective brush and you can see which areas you miss on a regular basis.


The tablets I have are purple, however they can come in different colours. Some disclosing tablets come in pink or blue. The colour is usually vivid so that the areas of plaque can be seen. They are round and there are 10 in my pack.
 The next thing in my pack is this toothbrush which is specially designed for people with orthodontic appliances. The bristles on the brush are of different lengths and sizes in order to fit in the tight and tough bits of the braces. I don't know if I will use this or just sit with my electric one that I have now, but I'm not 100%. Below is photos of the top of the toothbrush from the sides.
 


 The next thing in my pack was 5 interdental brushes. I got 4 ones which are of different sizes and colours, and then I have one travel set one which I can bring to school and different places.

The interdental brushes are designed to fit between the brackets and clean the wires and the sides of the brackets. Also the tiny little interdental brushes can fit in between my teeth and almost floss them which saves me time.

 I then got some mouthwash, which is specially designed for orthodontic appliances. Its called swirl plus, I don't know if you can get it at your local store, but I just got given it from my orthodontist. I don't know if your orthodontist gives you mouthwash which is similar, but just using a fluoride free toothpaste and mouthwash is fine.
 The final two things in my orthodontic pack was a 2 minute timer and some orthodontic wax.

The timer is designed to help me to brush my teeth for the correct amount of time and it also will help to ensure that my oral hygiene is kept on tip top condition.

The wax is designed to cover over areas which are causing pain and discomfort. As you can see I have used a little on the back of my braces as I have these hooks which are cutting my gums. I don't know why my wax is red, normally orthodontic wax is white, but its not a problem.




The final part of this blog, and probably the part you've been waiting for... my teeth. Here you are. I only got my top braces on for now but in time I will get my bottom braces. I don't have colours because I have these special ones which pull back your teeth at a very fast pace. I don't have hooks on my brackets but I have hooks on the bit which holds the wire in place.

So that's everything! Hope you enjoyed this update. I think I'm going to do weekly updates every Monday with photos and stuff she you can see the difference in my teeth as the weeks go by.

Bye guys

No comments:

Post a Comment